Barely Two weeks after U.S President Donald Trump warned Iran of ‘a heavy price’ if the Islamic nation attacked US troops stationed in Iraq or US vessels in the middle East.
Trump, has announced that he has given his military permission to launch attacks against Iranian Navy boats.
He made the announcement in response to reports that Iranian navy gunboats were attacking and harassing US vessels along the strait of Hormuz with the belief that the US won’t attack Iran as the US focuses on the Coronavirus pandemic.
Trump tweeting this afternoon said;
‘I have instructed the United States Navy to shoot down and destroy any and all Iranian gunboats if they harass our ships at sea.’
The Iranian government response,” United States should focus on saving its military from the coronavirus, an Iranian armed forces spokesman said after Trump’s comments.
Earlier this month, the U.S. military said 11 vessels from the IRGCN came close to U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships in the Gulf, calling the moves “dangerous and provocative.”
“After approximately one hour, the IRGCN vessels responded to the bridge-to-bridge radio queries, then maneuvered away from the U.S. ships and opened distance between them,” the statement added.
Tensions between Iran and the United States increased earlier this year after the United States killed Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, in a drone strike in Iraq.
Iran retaliated on Jan. 8 with a rocket attack on Iraq’s Ain al-Asad base where U.S. forces were stationed. No U.S. troops were killed or faced immediate bodily injury, but more than 100 were later diagnosed with traumatic brain injury.