The Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF),Kristalina Georgieva has convened a new external advisory group to provide perspectives from around the globe on key developments and policy issues.
The Managing Director’s External Advisory Group will meet a few times a year with the IMF’s Managing Director, Deputy Managing Directors, and a sub-set of IMF department Directors.
Former Nigeria minister of finance and economy coordinator, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has just been appointed as member of an external advisory group.
The eminent group were draws from around the world on high-level policy, market, and private sector experience to provide insights to enhance the Fund’s ability to serve its membership due to the novel coronavirus and its economic impact.
To serve our membership well in this context, we need top-notch input and expertise from the widest range of sources, inside and outside the Fund.
Ms Georgieva was quoted as saying, “Even before the spread of COVID-19 and the dramatic health, economic, and financial disruptions it has brought, IMF members confronted a rapidly evolving world and complex policy issues.
“Toward this end, I am proud that an exceptional and diverse group of eminent individuals with high-level policy, market, and private sector experience has agreed to serve on my External Advisory Group. Today we had a dynamic discussion to gain their insights, and to receive informal reactions to our ideas and approaches.
Members of the group were listed as:
· Ms. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former Finance Minister of Nigeria
· Mr. Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Senior Minister of Singapore and Chairman of the Monetary Authority of Singapore
· Ms. Kristin Forbes, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
· Mr. Kevin Rudd, former Prime Minister of Australia
· Lord Mark Malloch Brown, former United Nations Deputy Secretary-General
· Mr. Feike Sijbesima, Honorary Chair, DSM, Former CEO, Royal DSM
· Mr. Raghuram Rajan, Professor, University of Chicago
· Ms. Ana Botín, Group Executive Chairman, Santander
· Ms. Carmen Reinhart, Professor, Harvard University
· Mr. Mohamed A. El-Erian, Chief Economic Adviser, Allianz
· Mr. Scott Minerd, Chief Investment Officer, Guggenheim Investments
· Ms. Nyaradzayi Gumbonzvanda, Chair of ActionAid International