Germany’s Bundesliga have indicated football could make a comeback next month, albeit behind closed doors without spectators to prevent coronavirus contagion.
The decision was made during a video conference on Thursday April 23, between representatives of all 36 clubs in the top two divisions decided to restart games on May 9, after the remaining league matches were initially suspended due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
The statements come after more than a month without play and fear over the financial implications of the global pandemic — and ahead of an official meeting between the clubs and the league on Thursday.
While Germany began easing curbs and allowing smaller shops to open from Monday, large public events have been scrapped through to August 31.
DFL CEO Christian Seifert said: ‘The Bundesliga is ready to resume, no matter whether on May 9 or a later date. But it’s not up to us to find a date. The political decision-makers decide.
‘We have not defined an exact date today. The fact that we are even able to think about resuming games underlines the performance of the German authorities.
Borussia Dortmund also welcomed the news, saying politicians had been convinced by the league’s plans and that it was now up to clubs to stick to it.
“This is a show of faith from politics if it means we can play again from May 9 onwards,” Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said.
According to Mail Online Sport, matches will take place behind closed doors with a maximum of 322 people allowed in and around stadiums for top-flight Bundesliga matches and 270 for second-tier games.
Drastic changes will be made with hygiene precautions to be put in place with widespread testing of players and coaches at an estimated cost of £2.2million, while protective masks will be mandatory for some in attendance.