The Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa has been ban for eight-match for insulting and grabbing the official’s arm after he had been shown the red card in defeat to Barcelona.
The fiery frontman saw red just 28 minutes into the La Liga fixture at Camp Nou on April 6. Costa will have to pay 6,010 euros while Atleti will pay 2,800 euros as additional fine.
Costa was handed the lengthy suspension by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) on Thursday for directing a crude insult towards referee Gil Manzano during the first half of the game,though Atletico were given 10 working days to lodge an appeal.
Simeone said at a press conference on Friday, The punishment means Costa will not play again this season as Atletico have seven games left in La Liga, having been knocked out of the Champions League and Copa del Rey.
But Simeone insists Costa still has a future at the club.”Absolutely yes, you know what I think of Costa,” Simeone said. “We must take care of our own and with Costa, now more than ever.”
Atletico president Enrique Cerezo suggested on Thursday the club will appeal against the ban. “It’s bad news,” Cerezo said. “The natural thing is for us to appeal, to ask for leniency and see what happens.
“There are players who are very temperamental. Insults should never happen on the football field but there are times when they do happen.”