The Duke of Edinburgh , Prince Philip and husband to Queen Elizabeth has voluntarily given up his driving licence after a crash last month. Buckingham Palace has said.
The Duke apologised over a car crash near the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, in which his Land Rover Freelander landed on its side after a collision with a Kia.
Prince Philip told news reporter that low sun had affected his sight for the crash, also received a warning from police for driving without a seatbelt two days after the crash.
Norfolk police have confirmed with us the Duke voluntarily turned in his license to officers Saturday, and tell us the investigation of the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service. We’re told CPS will provide “advice on how to proceed.”
Prince Philip retired from public life in August 2017 having spent decades supporting the Queen and attending events for his own charities and organisations.
Buckingham Palace calculated he had completed 22,219 solo engagements since 1952.
Philip drove former United states President Barack Obama and Michelle to lunch at Windsor Castle during their state visit to england in 2016, provoking Obama to comment: “I need to state I have never been driven by a Duke of Edinburgh before, however I can report it was smooth riding.