Luka Modric wins 2018 Ballon d’Or,beats Ronaldo and Messi decade history
The Real Madrid player Luka Modric won the 2018 Ballon d’Or by putting full stop to Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi’s history in more than a decade.
Luka Modric was ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo, Antoine Griezmann and Lionel Messi, he took home his third Champions League title in a row at Real Madrid before captaining Croatia to the World Cup final against all odds.
Lionel Messi on the other hand failed to make the top three of the Ballon d’Or for the first time since 2007, finishing fifth in this year’s final vote.
Modric became the first player other than Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo to claim the award in more than a decade, since Kaka beat the pair to it 11 years ago.
Messi and Ronaldo have each won the Ballon d’Or five times, why Modric took home FIFA’s award for The Best Male Player earlier this year.
BALLON D’OR LIST
1. Luka Modric (Real Madrid/CRO)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Juventus/POR)
3. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid/FRA)
4. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA)
5. Lionel Messi (Barcelona/ARG)
6. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool/EGY)
7. Raphael Varane (Real Madrid/FRA)
8. Eden Hazard (Chelsea/BEL)
9. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City/BEL)