Cristiano Ronaldo will face his former club Machester United for only the second time since leaving the club for a then world record £80 million fee in June 2009.
The first time was for the second leg of a Champions League last 16-match between United and Madrid in 2013, when he was given a standing ovation by United fans and introduced as the “magnificent seven” — a reference to the number he had at the English club.
The soccer superstar has been accused of rape in the United States. Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit last month in Nevada claiming Ronaldo raped her in his Las Vegas hotel room in 2009. Police also reopened an investigation into the allegation at her request.
Cristiano Ronaldo faced the media on his Old Trafford return with Juventus on Monday and addressed his rape allegations again ahead of his team Champions League clash with Manchester United.
He said at a news conference ahead of a Champions League match between his Italian team, Juventus, and former club Manchester United at Old Trafford on Tuesday. “I’m very happy. My lawyers, they are confident and of course I am, too. The most important, is I enjoy the football, I enjoy my life. The rest, I have people who take care of my life.
Ronaldo previously had confronted the allegations in an Instagram video posted Oct. 3, hours after the suit was filed.
“Fake. Fake news,” the five-time world player of the year said at that time.
Christiansen has branded documents that led to media reports about the rape claim “complete fabrications” and asserted that the encounter in a Las Vegas hotel penthouse bedroom was consensual. Attorneys for Mayorga have challenged Ronaldo’s legal team to prove that documents are false.