Recall that the Federal Government had earlier announced plans to shut the bridge in July, but had to shelve the decision after due consultation with the State Government and wide deliberations with other stakeholders who expressed concern about the indiscriminate parking of articulated vehicles on other alternative routes which would have adversely affected traffic.
THE Lagos State Government has said that the Third Mainland Bridge will be temporarily shut for four days beginning from midnight of August 23 to midnight of August 26, 2018 to allow for investigative maintenance test to be carried before embarking on proper repairs in future.
The Lagos State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr. Ade Akinsanya, who disclosed this yesterday, said the decision of the four day closure was taken after due consultation with the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing.
Akinsanya said: “The Third Mainland Bridge, which was opened about 30 years ago by the then military government has had haphazard maintenance and repairs in the past which the present Federal Government is committed to correct by carrying out proper and continuous maintenance and repairs on it.”
Mr Akinsanya said all traffic management agencies including the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and the Police, among others, have been mandated to ensure smooth flow of traffic on all the other alternative roads and traffic corridor across the metropolis to ensure free flow of traffic.