Donald Trump’s Administration to replace Travel Muslim ban with targeted restrictions on Certain Countries
United States President Donald Trump is set to replace his earlier controversial Muslim ban on travelers from six majority-Muslim countries with severe restrictions on visitors from nations he has determined do too little to protect against terrorists and criminals coming into the United States, officials reported on Friday.
The new travel measures, aimed at stopping security threats from entering the US, are expected to be more specific and affect more countries than Mr Trump’s original travel ban.officials said. They will go into effect as soon as Sunday, after the conclusion of a 90-day policy review undertaken as part of the administration’s original travel ban.
Wall Street Journal report that, the Department of Homeland Security originally found that 17 countries were failing to comply with US standards, such as informing the US of known terrorists and issuing reliable passports.
Facing the threat of being included in Mr Trump’s travel ban, about half of those 17 nations made changes to bring them into compliance.
After bomb exploded on a London Underground train last week: “The travel ban into the United States should be far larger, tougher and more specific,” Mr. Trump wrote. Officials said Mr. Trump was given a “decision brief” on the travel ban by senior officials during a meeting Friday at the president’s Bedminster club.
Officials said Mr. Trump will soon announce the list of countries subject to the travel restrictions. They declined to say whether the list would include all six countries from which travel was temporarily banned by a revised executive order in March: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
The restrictions would differ for each country, people living in the targeted nations could be prevented from travelling to the US or could face increased scrutiny as they attempt to obtain a visa.
that, The ban has also been harshly criticised by immigrant rights activists, members of Congress in both parties, business executives, academic leaders and diplomats from around the globe. critics expressed deep reservations about the new restrictions and left open the possibility that they will file additional legal challenges once the list of countries is revealed
According to Anthony D. Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union. said,“We tend to look at anything coming out of this White House with a great deal of skepticism,”
“While it has been clear that a neutral vetting system across the board needs to be looked at on its merits, this seems to be a third rescue of the failed Muslim ban.”
Miles Taylor, the counselor to the secretary of homeland security said, “We need to know who is coming into our country. We should be able to validate their identities,”
the new restrictions represent a significant increase in toughening “national security standards and protecting the homeland.”
Mr. Taylor told reporters on Friday. To countries who failed to meet or accept the new requirements, Mr. Taylor said, the message from American diplomats was blunt: “You will face potential consequences from the United States.”
Jonathan Hoffman, the assistant secretary of homeland security for public affairs. said, “The Trump administration will ensure that the people who travel to the United States are properly vetted and those that don’t belong here aren’t allowed to enter,”