3 Signs Your Body Is Aging Too Fast, and How to Reverse it
One of the human body’s most masterful tricks is its ability to give us clues about what’s going on inside. These biological breadcrumbs can alert us to potential health concerns before they become serious—and in many cases—give us a chance to reverse damage.
Premature wrinkles, skin tone, the condition of your hair, and the way you look and move can indicate whether your biological age is higher than your chronological age. Your biological age refers to how well your body is functioning and can be much higher or lower than your actual age.
You’ve probably met an “old” young person or someone who is 80, but seems decades younger.
Here are some signs of aging and what to do about it:
Red eyes can come from more than just seasonal allergies or staring at the computer screen for too long. Chronic red eyes can be a sign of chronic inflammation, which is associated with several age-related diseases such as osteoarthritis.
How to stop it: An alkaline diet rich in antioxidants can reduce inflammation, cut down on joint pain and stiffness, and fight aging. When you follow The Beauty Detox plan, you eat a diet of about 80 percent alkaline-forming foods and 20 percent acid-forming foods.
That means 80 percent of your diet should be fruits, greens, and vegetables, while the other 20 percent is for protein, carbohydrates, starches, and fats. Alkaline foods include ripe fruits, sprouts, greens, and other non-starchy vegetables. When you trade in fast food and refined sugars for whole, real foods, you may begin to see (and feel) less evidence of chronic inflammation.
Some of the best inflammation-fighting foods are:
Walnuts (try my Sweet Walnut Chutney recipe)
Droopy Eyelids or Fatty Deposits Around the Eyes
The eyes are not only the windows to your soul, they provide a peek at the overall health of your body. Droopy eyelids can be an indication of fatigue, allergies, thyroid dysfunction, or fluid retention. In most cases, droopy lids are connected to oxidative stress, which allows free radicals to accumulate and cause cell damage in your body.
The good news is that oxidative stress is greatly attributed to eating a poor diet full of processed foods. Put down that potato chip and pick up some blueberries or crunchy carrots and jicama dipped in hummus. Free radicals can also come from the environment in the air or water; a diet high in antioxidants can negate their effects.
How to stop it: Switching to a diet with whole, rather than processed, foods will help. Celery (an ingredient in my Glowing Green Smoothie) can help the skin around the eyes look healthier and reduce puffiness thanks to an anti-inflammatory compound inside called polyacetylene. It also helps your liver and kidneys get rid of toxins in the body.
Aging around the eyes can be indicative of a more serious health problem. A study completed over the course of 35 years by Danish scientists and shared with the American Heart Association in Los Angeles found that fatty deposits around your eyes could indicate heart disease.
While the scientists don’t claim that there’s a direct cause-and-effect link between the two, the study does suggest that premature aging on the outside is indicative of heart trouble on the inside. By noticing that something’s not quite right around your eyes, you might be able to stop heart disease from progressing with a change in diet.
Wrinkles and Sagging Skin
Wrinkles and sagging skin may feel like an inevitable part of aging, but some people see wrinkles and fine lines as early as their 20s. There are creams, makeup products, and procedures to minimize their visibility. However, the ability to mask them doesn’t mean you’ve solved what’s causing the wrinkles in the first place.