President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of heads of five strategic health institutions in the country
The heads are: the Centre for Disease Control, National Agency for the Control of Aids, the Nigerian Institute for Medical Research.
Others are, the National Primary Health Care Development Agency and National Health Insurance Scheme. The new appointees are: NIMR – Prof Babatunde Salami NACA – Dr Sani Aliyu NHIS – Prof Usman Yusuf READ ALSO: Unbelievable! South west group backs Buhari’s appointments NPHCDA – Prof Echezona Ezeanolue CDC – Dr Chikwe Andreas Ihekweazu All the five appointments have already taken effect.
1. The head of the CDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, was the managing partner at EpiAfric, a public health consultancy firm that focuses on Africa
2. The head of the NACA, Dr Sani Aliyu was a consultant in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases at Cambridge University, UK.
3. The head of the NIMR, Prof. Babatunde Salako was the Provost, College of Medicine at the University of Ibadan before his new appointment.
4. The head of the NPHCDA, Echezona Ezeanolue was a professor of Paediatrics and Public Health at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA.
5. The head of the NHIS, Prof. Usman Yusuf, was a professor of Paediatrics at St. Jude Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, USA.